Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Starting Place...

Today, my starting place is a startling place.

To lay some context, there are some things you need to know.
  • I have been battling health/weight issues since I was in college.
  • I have yo-yo'd for almost 20 years.
  • I was never overweight as a child.
  • For the past 5 years, no matter what I have weighed during the year, I have always weighed in at the same weight (+ or - 2 lbs) on New Years Day.
  • My mother is overweight and has tremendous health issues related to adult onset diabetes (which have included over the years loss of eyesight, heart disease, kidney disease, cancer).
  • My father is healthy and has lived a lifestyle that includes healthy eating and regular exercise.
  • I have been married for going on 13 years and have 4 kids (7,9,11,15)
  • I work in full time ministry and am plugging away at a master's degree in children and family ministry.
Here are my current stats:
Age: 37 years
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 260 lbs...YIKES!

So here are my hopes with this blog. I want to live a healthier life. I want to be on this earth for a long time...long enough to fully enjoy my children grow up and have children of their own. I want to live a long life with my wonderful husband. I want to grow old with him and have an active life in retirement with him. I want to have the energy to do ministry well. I work with preteens and I know for a fact that I am at my best when I am feeling healthy. For me, this is less about appearances and more about quality of life. I want to learn to treat my body and soul like the temple that God calls it to be. So...here is my starting place. A blog. A place to journal my thoughts, track my journey, and be held accountable for my choices. I will share what I am learning, post pictures and resources I find helpful along the way. Mostly, it is my hope this this will be a place of encouragement for others who are seeking better health.

So come on, walk with me, won't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are great the way you are!! But I wish you all the best in bettering your health!! We all need to get our health in gear, no matter how much we weigh!! Love you!!

Kate